World Lit: Caesar and Today

Standard:  
ELAGSE9-10RI1 Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
ELAGSE9-10W2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas, concepts, and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.

Learning Target: I can write about the similarities and differences in the Ancient Roman oligarchy and the people in power in modern America; I understand how Caesar was killed because he wanted to help the people, and how that relates to the modern #blacklivesmatter civil rights movement.

Opening Session: Daily video!

Work Session: Today we’re going to spend more time relating Julius Caesar’s rule in Rome to modern-day America. You guys have a writing prompt, and I’m going to give you the entire block to work on it:

Is Caesar Relevant Today?

Throughout this unit, we have thoroughly discussed the idea of the “1%” vs. the “99%.” We said we thought that Julius Caesar might have been killed by the other senators (aka conspirators, oligarchy, 1%, upper class, patricians) because Caesar was always doing good things for the people of Rome. The senators didn’t like that Caesar was taking away their power and giving it to the regular people (aka 99%, plebeians) and so they hatched a plan to murder Caesar.

 

How can we see this same conflict in modern society? What conflicts do you see in today’s world between the “1%” and the “99%”? How do those conflicts play out in similar and different ways to how they played out in Julius Caesar? For example, in Caesar, the patricians murdered Caesar because he was taking their power away. Is there a “patrician” class in modern America? If so, what powers do they have, and how do they work to keep or expand their power? In way ways is a modern “patrician” class similar and different to the patricians of Ancient Rome? Write a 3-5 paragraph essay in which you compare and contrast the class conflicts in Rome to the class conflicts of today. ELAGSE9-10W1: Argumentative writing.

 

Closing session: Get with a partner and tell them about the essay you just wrote. When your partner tells you what they wrote, write a 2-sentence summary of your partner’s essay and turn it in.

Assessment: Essays will be graded

Differentiation: Annotated texts offered as needed (content, process); shortened length requirement (product).

Leave a Reply

© Mrs. Bristow's Literature Classes
CyberChimps